The former Borussia Dortmund manager was asked about Jose Mourinho's infamous 'Special One' comment when he arrived at Chelsea, but he played down his own abilities
New Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has claimed he is 'The Normal One' after taking over the reins at Anfield.

The former Borussia Dortmund manager was asked how he would describe himself after Jose Mourinho's infamous 'Special One' comment on his arrival at Chelsea, but he was not willing to talk up his own abilities.

"I don't want to describe myself,” the 48-year-old said on Friday at his first press conference since taking charge at the Premier League club.

“Does anyone in this room think that I can do wonders? No? So let me work. I'm a totally normal guy.

“I came from the Black Forest. My mother is watching this at home on the television, but she won't understand a word. She is very proud, though.

"I am the 'Normal One', if you want [a description]. I was a very, very average player.”


Klopp: I am 'The Normal One'
Klopp, though, did praise his roots in management, urging people to go and watch a Mainz game if they can and labelling Dortmund a great club.

“I became a manager in Germany with a very special club,” he added.

“If you've never been to Germany to watch Mainz, try to do it. Try to get a ticket. It's really special there.

“I then had a great opportunity to [manage] Dortmund — a very special club, a great club. After seven years, though, it was best to leave.

“Now I'm here and I hope to enjoy my work. All the people [talk] so much about the British press, it's up to you to show me they're all liars."

Liverpool face Tottenham at White Hart Lane after the international break next weekend in what will be Klopp’s first game in charge of his new side.